Monday, April 4, 2011

An Unexpected Turn of Events

Eleven o’clock came and went. Eleven fifteen. By eleven thirty I was beginning to think they weren’t coming. Scott and I made plans to meet up with the ladies and head out to lunch, but first I decided to give Josh, the Jehovah’s Witness, a call. Turns out he was on his way to a funeral and forgot to give me a call, which was a relief because rather than purposefully blowing us off he apologized for forgetting to call me to reschedule. He’ll be following up with me sometime in the next few days for our rescheduled third meeting.

My plan is still relatively the same: again go over Hebrews 1:10-12 (and hopefully hear some sort of response), a verse they will present that allegedly shows the “inferiority” of Christ to the Father – and our response, and if there’s time I’d like to visit John 12:34-41.

This is another important text because a citation from Isaiah 6 is provided by John followed by an apostolic interpretation that the glory of the one Isaiah saw in his vision was Christ’s glory: “These things Isaiah said because he saw His glory, and he spoke of him” (John 12:41, NASB). The other reason this is a great verse to show these two JW’s is because they will likely not have a prepared response to it, which is an added bonus in dealing with anyone a part of a religious system bent on controlling what information is reaching her membership.

What I am aiming for in all this is that while they are not allowed to take and read anything I give to them (though it is the irony of ironies that they go door to door distributing the Watchtower’s literature) they will have with them always one or two texts that clearly refer to Jesus as Yahweh (Jehovah). I pray that this troubles their hearts often until they find rest in the triune Lord found in the Scriptures.

May the true and living God be pleased to grant to them saving grace,

Rusty

No comments:

Post a Comment