Sunday, June 24, 2012

Drumroll Please

As the reader might have noticed, for a few months now we have added 2 new contributors to our little corner of cyberspace that require an introduction: Scott Nelson and Metzger.

Because of his unique situation I will start off by introducing Metzger. For a variety of reasons, Metzger has asked that his identity be kept private so as to not become unnecessarily entangled at the workplace. He has been known to me for a few years now, and I am honored that he is willing to contribute to the blog.

Where shall I begin with an introduction of Scott Nelson? Whatever I say will fail to do him justice, but I will do my best (not to fail ... to do him justice =)). He and I have been best friends since we were in 7th grade, which makes that almost 17 years now - where does the time go? We grew up in the same Arminian Charismatic Mega-Church, and were converted to Calvinism around the same time. In fact, because Scott was first convinced of Calvinism he cited Romans 9 to me so many times that I was forced to be confronted with a chapter I had previously never studied honestly.

He was the first to get married ... to his lovely wife, Mindy. My wife and I have asked Scott and Mindy if they would be an additional Uncle and Aunt to our daughter, Molly. 

If you will bear with me for a few geeky moments, Scott and I have always had a soft spot for video games, RTS's and MMORPG's especially. Yes, we are back to Wow ... again. Who woulda thought? To say that Scott is gifted in figuring out the complexities of video games and technology in general, would be an understatement.

One reason I am excited that he will be contributing to Musings is because of his keen insight into many many subjects. His ability to understand opposing viewpoints, analyze an argument, and make sense of an appropriate way to respond has always benefited me personally. In fact, Scott is usually the first person I go to when I need help thinking an idea through, or for advice.

Scott also brings an element of humor and appropriate sarcasm to a discussion that is contagious. He has the ability to fill a room with laughter, and can captivate his audience.

But my favorite aspect about him is his passion and love for the triune God. He has been a consistent godly example to me over the course of my life. He reads the Scriptures, talks about the Scriptures, and shares the gospel with his unbelieving family and friends. Beyond question, Scott and I have many similar interests that have added to our friendship, but the most important of these is our common confession of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Proverbs 18:24 says: "A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" (NASB). This verse describes Scott's friendship to me. Mr. Nelson ... the rest I leave to you, and I am eager to see what you have to say. Welcome to Musings from our Caffeinated Highs!

No comments:

Post a Comment