Friday, June 17, 2011

Action and Paction this Summer

“I’m just doing the best I can to save you.” So goes my favorite line from my favorite movie of the summer (so far). Spielberg and JJ Abram’s “Super 8” went far beyond super in what they were able to deliver. The trailers I caught beforehand left me with suspicions about what the plot was going to be, and my guess was aliens/monsters. While I won’t provide any spoilers I will say that the plot was pretty much what you’d expect from Steven Spielberg. What made this movie was the phenomenal acting, done primarily from youthful actors and actresses.

Within minutes of the opening I found myself with a strong connection to the main character, his situation, and his family. As the scope enveloped new characters the connection expanded to include his best friend, amongst his larger circle of friends. Next arrived on scene the girl, and the beginnings of young romance.

There was action, paction, humor, serious reflection, family trials, times of bonding, love, and oppression. Things that make up the world in which we live; things that we all know and care about. This is the quality that makes Spielberg and Abrams brilliant at what they do. They understand what it is to make a human connection and they communicate that connection through film in a way that make other directors downright jealous.

Other movies are at the top of my list this summer, including Thor and X-Men, but neither of these movies compare to the strong connection one feels toward the heroes of Super 8.

Thor was more enjoyable overall for me, and much more relaxing to watch. At points it had me sincerely laughing aloud – although what I found even more humorous than the movie was the woman behind me who propelled over-the-top laughter at each and every funny moment. I was laughing at the movie then at the overly involved fan sitting behind me =). It was also a surprise to me how well Natalie Portman pulled off her character. She may have bumped herself back to the top of my favorite actresses list (at least tied for first). Be warned, the plot is slightly lacking, but if you go into it looking for an easy-going experience you’re bound to love it.

X-Men was fantastic. But would you expect to hear anything else from someone who grew up watching the cartoons? Compared to Thor, it took a lot more work for me to watch this film, probably because I am so familiar with all the characters and plotline. The choice of James McElroy as Xavier was a terrific match. Professor X and Magneto’s friendship was portrayed extraordinarily, which made their inevitable separation that much more meaningful. The movie left me wanting more, and I am counting down the years until the next installment to this X-Men reboot series.

Do yourself a favor though, if you have yet to see Super 8, see this before the rest of the summer blockbusters. You won’t regret it.

Thanks for reading,

rustypth

No comments:

Post a Comment